Oct 24, 2010

Kanye West's Short Film: Runaway

"You're girlfriends really beautiful."
"Thank you" "did you know she's a bird?"
"No... I never noticed that". 

Kanye West is a genius. I'm convinced. Yesterday, Mr. West took over three television stations to debut his short film, Runaway, to the world. The film, co-directed by Hype Williams, is centered on a relationship between Kanye and a phoenix.
The internet was buzzing about it before, with Kanye holding 4 trending topics on Twitter, and after. I myself didn't watch it on T.V because I hate T.V... But I watched it this morning online.
Before I watched it, I read many comments and the general consensus was that although you don't get the film at first, people understood that he was trying to do something powerful
Click "READ MORE" for the video as well as excerpts from Kanye's post debut interview.


Kanye opens the film with my favorite classical piece: Mozart's Requiem. Then there is a voice over skit from Nicki Minaj and Selita E. Banks is his phoenix.
"Gather Round Children, ZIP IT, Listen..."
A universal symbol of the sun, rebirth, resurrection and immortality, this legendary red "fire bird" was believed to die in its self-made flames periodically (every couple hundred of years) then rise again out of its own ashes.
There were a lot of explosion scenes and when tied in with the symbolism of the phoenix, it makes sense.
Selita walks around learning about things w/ a sort of innocence. She’s not of this world so she’s untainted.
"First rule in this world baby don't pay attn to anything you see in the news."
I loved the African drum beating dance scene. It seemed to signify the raw passion we feel instinctively.


The little boy running trough the dark with red smoke can freely toward the Michael Jackson procession was awesome. It showed the care-freeness of childhood; we have our own ability to think at the age where we know nothing. By the end of the scene he has become a drone. Mindless w/ the same ideals of the cult that was leading the MJ procession. Notice how Michael is white instead of black.
"If you saw the kid in the beginning, he's running and running at top speed holding his torch, and his torch represents his thoughts and ideals. At the end, after he's been cultivated, he has the hood on now and he's walking extremely slow. That's basically how people think," West said. "It's the way society has set people up to be able to control them, slave mentalities." -Kanye (via MTV News)
Selita begins to learn how to "act" like a person. Much like kids learn from their parents. She first starts to learn with the tea cup and how to hold it and drink among company. She was doing it to make him happy.
At the dinner scene, everyone wore white= "purity".



It was hilarious to me that at the dinner table, everyone was black wearing white and all the dancers were white wearing black. The didnner table was also being served by white servants. Parallel universe? Nope, Kanye didn't mean for that to happen.


The scene with turkey was crazy... It was crazy to me because I got it. It's kind of like when you want to run from something but people have a way of placing it in front of you. It was an extrememly inconsiderate scene. The phoenix’s emotions were disregarded. The humans ate nothing but meat and place the dead bird in front of her without thinking about what that would do to her.


"You know what I hate most about your world? Anything that's different, you try to change. If you don't let me burn I'll turn to stone."

In the end, the phoenix and Kanye couldn’t be together. She was not from his world and he couldn’t keep her. No matter how much he ran, there was no saving them.

I found it interesting that the opening and closing scenes were the running scenes. Kanye could be mistaken for a runaway slave, which in context he is. He is a runaway slave from the mental subordination that is placed upon us as societal beings. We are thought to act, dress, talk, interact, and think a certain way. Not only in American culture but just as people in general. Kanye refuses to be a slave to the madness. I, for one, agree.


"America was a bitch. The illegitimate daughter of the mother country whose legs were then spread around the world. and a rapist named Freedom- Free Doom. Who will survive in America?"
~Confessor
Selita landed out of a comet. The significance of the phoenix:

3 comments:

  1. I struggled to get through the first 10 minutes. But that was all I could do. I may try to watch it again when I get home today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it, but I have to say this.

    If Kanye's name wasn't attached. No one would pay attention.

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts