Nov 9, 2010

BET's Black Girls Rock: Kelly Price, Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott & Ledisi "Four Women" Performance


The Black Girls Rock Award Show aired  November 7 on BET. I boycotted the show. I found it rather comedic that "Black Entertainment Television" (BET), notorious for it's promotion in the degradation of women (of any minority race), decided to tell us NOW that we "rock".
*Sucking my teeth*
BET please, take that somewhere else. I know I ROCK... no thanks to you. Thanks to my school books, teachers, parents, etc...
Anyway, I digress. I heard all the performances were great. Among those that performed were Keri Hilson, Keyshia Cole, Monica and more. In tribute to black women, Kelly Price, Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott & Ledisi performed a cover of Nina Simone’s 1966 song, “Four Women”.
This rendition was NOTHING short of PHENOMENAL. These women are SO talented! Ledisi, I slept on her but I am about to buy her album. If she's singing on tracks like that?! I'm bound to love her.

~Confessor

5 comments:

  1. girl I'm so with you! BET is a trip and I don't watch that channel for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched and the show and it was AMAZING. Some of the performances were lacking, but I was introduced to some phenomenal women that I have never heard of and their stories encouraged me to keep striving for mine!

    Like everyone else I dislike BET for it's degradation of women, however BET was not telling US that WE rock. They were actually giving the foundation "Black Girls Rock" a forum to express the sentiment. A lot of wonderful women were honored and you all MISSED a treat.

    Main stream media does not always give us a venue for these types of shows. More people may have watched if the show was on ABC, CBS, or NBC but sadly it wasn't aired on those channels.

    Instead of boycotting the positive shows express your displeasure to the network. Help them do better by using your voice against the negative. This was BET doing better.

    Just my two cents it all lurve! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherine, Thanks again for stopping by my blog and letting me know how to find you. Any friend of Falen is a friend of mine. If you like the spicy over at her site then please check out my post from today. It is a little survey of the spicy kind. Would love for you to participate. It's all in good fun. Have a great day!

    http://rantersbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this performance but man was that video freaking awesome! just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The performance is awesome!
    Didn't get to watch the show though...

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts