Dec 21, 2010

Total Lunar Eclipse

Taken outside my apartment building...

Last night I got to witness the total lunar eclipse. I've never seen an eclipse (lunar or solar) so it was pretty cool to see.

The lunar eclpise takes more than three hours for the Earth's shadow to pass over the moon. When the Eclipse first started I went outside to see.it. I decided that I would monitor the eclipse on NASA's Ustreem feed because it was COLD outside.
Taken outside my aprtment 

Apparently, full lunar eclipses happen once a year (with partial ones happening more frequently), but this one was rare because it landed on the winter solstice. The solstice is the shortest day of the year, when the moon is high in the sky.


The last time that happened was Dec. 21, 1638. And the next time will be Dec. 21, 2094. Amazing, I decided to wake my brother up to cme see it. We got to see history :-)
Fun Fact: The reason the moon turned red is because the rim of the planet was on fire! As you scan your eye around Earth's circumference on the moon, you're seeing every sunrise and every sunset in the world, all of them, all at once. This incredible light beams into the heart of Earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the Moon into a great red orb.

COOL!
For those of you who couldn't see it, here's a video and some pictures for you. Click the photos to enlarge.
 


~Confessor

By the way, if you havent already, ENTER my First giveaway! Only 8 days left! Click HERE

5 comments:

  1. I hate I missed it. I'm surprised I didn't see people talking about it until this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I woke up and watched it too! Thanks for sharing the link of the video. :)

    xo,
    Casey
    www.blondebargainbabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!..They said it here on the news but apparently no body saw it...happening...wierd

    xx
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME POST! Im reqally glad you blogged about this because i totally missed it. you are so lucky to have witnessed it in person. Wow such cool info too all the sunrises and sunsets...thats just amazing. wow mind blowing

    xoxo Monroe

    Fashion Steele NYC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly cant believe that I've missed this one! Such a shame because I've always wanted to see a lunar eclipse.

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts