Feb 15, 2011

My Beauty Secret: African Shea Butter

Shea Butter has been exploited in many cosmetic tools for years!
It's extracted from the fruit of the karate tree, found in the savannah region of West Africa.
It's used for skin moisturizing creams, eye creams, lips balms, shampoos, soaps, sunscreens, anti aging creams, creams for stretch marks and more.
Shea Butter is used in moisturizers because it has loads of fatty acids, which are needed to retain skin moisture and elasticity.
I use Shea Butter a couple of ways.
  1. Lips
  2. Face (during winter months)
  3. All over skin
  4. Hair 
Click "READ MORE" For the many ways you can use Shea Butter... 
There are 3 types of pure Shea Butter:
  • Raw or unrefined- extracted using water. The color ranges from like cream (similar to whipped butter) to grayish yellow. This is the original form of Shea Butter.
  • Refined- is more highly processed. Has many of its natural components still intact.
  • Highly refined or processed- solvents are used to increase the yield (hexane is an example). The color is pure white.
For lips:
Every night, slather on some of the butter and wait a few minutes. Then use a soft bristle brush to gently slough away dead skin on the lips.
**I do this mainly in the winter because the cold winter air is BRUTAL to my skin. During the warmer months you could do this every week.
For face:
Rub a small amount of Shea Butter in your palms until it liquifies then apply to your face lightly.
** My regular moisturizer was not doing enough for me. I was seeing dry spots and since i've been using the butter, my skin has gotten even (in terms of dry/oily ratio). 
For body:
Since Shea Butter can be very hard, some people warm it up in a microwave for 30 seconds and rub the oil into their skin. This isn't a must because once you get a chunk of the butter in your hands, it melts.
**This has been SO good for my skin. I went from lotion to lotion and nothing ever really worked well. Either the consistency was to light or it was too thick and goopy on my skin. With the Shea Butter, it wassages well onto you skin leaving a smooth finish!
For hair:
Shea Butter provides moisture to dry or damaged hair from the roots to the tips, repairing and protecting against weather damage, dryness and brittleness. If you have naturally dry scalp, part your hair and rub a small amount on your scalp and comb out. You can also place a little bit on the ends of your hair to repair damage.
**It absorbs quickly and completely into the scalp to rehydrate without clogging pores. It is particularly beneficial for processed and heat-treated hair. It is an excellent treatment for dry scalp. The winter drys out my hair so the shea butter has been saving my butt!


African Shea Butter contains:
  • Vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory now famous for treating acne as well as wrinkles and dark spots from sun damage
  • Vitamin E, known for its scar-reducing, antioxidant, and anti-aging properties (and also essential for Vitamin A absorption)
  • Vitamin F, an anti-inflammatory Essential Fatty Acid
Shea Butter does not need to be refrigerated. However, over a period of two or three years, the Shea Butter will begin to lose some of its effectiveness.

What are your beaty secrets?

~Confessor

3 comments:

  1. omg! i love me some shea butter
    it keep ya skin and and smooth! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In love with Shea butter, my stretch marks are almost non existent!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. African shea butter is one of my numerous BFFs. I use it for my lips, skin (I have extremely dry skin) and hair (keeps my natural hair soft).

    www.heartprintandstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts