Mar 5, 2012

Flashback: Halle Berry's Emotional Oscar Acceptance Speech


I'm not the most outwardly emotional person but I cry (when no one can see me) a lot. 
My favorite line "I'm A G", G being short for "gangster", never applies when I am watching a romantic movie, historical film, or someone living out their dreams. I cry like a newborn baby!

So, I was YouTube surfing the other night and came across Halle's acceptance speech and decided to watch it. In 2002 at the 74th Academy Awards, Halle Berry won the Oscar Award for Best Female Performance in Leading Role  for her role in Monster's Ball. She was the first black woman awarded in that category. 

Watching it, I couldn't stop crying. 
No, not the light tears-well-up-in-your-eyes-because-she's-crying kind of cry. 
Not the light-one-tear-trickling-down-your-cheek kind of cry. 
I'm talking about that gasping-for-air-and-squinting-because-your-eyes-are-so-puffy-now-you-can't-see-a-thing kind of cry. 

Yeah... THAT kind.

Click "READ MORE" to see the video...
                        
"Okay, Wait a minute! I gotta take the time! This is 74 years here, I gotta take this time!"

Lol, tell them Halle!

I think became emotional for many reasons. When she named all the actresses of color, who came before her, who were never recognized for their talent; the women who are next to her in the industry that are never recognized; and the possibility of a door being opened for future women in Hollywood- that touched me deeply. 

No one (who pays attention) can contest that Hollywood has a history of over looking women and men of color for opportunities- whether they be roles or awards (i.e. Hattie McDaniel being the first to win an Oscar but seated in the BACK of the dinner). Being a young woman of color is no easy task but we do it, most days, with grace and pride because we have no choice.

While it frustrates me that Halle received the Oscar for Monster's Ball, and not any of the other great films she's been in; I love to see a person's dream come true. Especially a female. 

~Confessor

6 comments:

  1. Oh my thats a real cry but I can relate when it comes to sappy stuff I don't stand a chance. lol
    xo
    Darling Bonnie
    thehouseofdarling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean. Her speech was very heartfelt. Black or not, you could definitely identify to her passion.

    Lol, that was a serious cry huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the speech ...but 74 years !! ?? :)
    btw, follow each other ? :)

    http://bongsbelleza.blogspot.com/
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was seriously the best moment in TV history--I love Halle, she is the greatest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was such a great speech. She was so genuine and sweet. I totally remember getting emotional watching her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's definitely got some crazy going on, but she always looks gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts