Feb 28, 2013

Beauty Talk: February Birchbox & Ipsy Glam Bag Review

It's the Battle Of The Boxes! Birchbox VS Ipsy, Confessions Of A City Girl style!

I introduced you to the fist B.O.B last moth and it is back again. I received both of my monthly subscriptions around the same time and realized that both boxes decided to do a Red Carpet themed bag because it is awards season.

If you're interested to see what I got in each box, click below to find out!


In this month's Birchbox Red Carpet box, I received 5 products. Here's the breakdown:


  • Skin & Co RomaCleansing Body Gel with Olive &Sicilian Orange Extracts (sample) - This is a shower gel with a nice musky scent. I used it once already, and it's not that I don't like it, it just doesn't lather up enough for meFull size: $17.50 Sample Size: $4.15 (est.)
  •  WEI Pomegranate Buffing Scrub (sample) - The Birchbox website lists the ingredients as pomegranate peel and "other natural ingredients" and that makes me think it's code for "we don't know". The consistency is like finely ground sand, I used it with the body cleanser that came in the box and it made for a really nice exfoliate. Too bad i'm already a St.Ives apricot scrub girl. Full Size: $20 Sample Size: $1.10
  • WEI Golden Root Purifying Mud Mask  (1 pod) - This mask is supposed to remove debris from your skin and leave your pores nearly invisible. I haven't tried it yet, but I am excited to. Full Size: $48 Sample Size: $4.40
  • Shu Uemura: Essence Absoule  (sample) - When I read that geisha's wore camellia oil in their hair, I was beyond excited to get this in my box! It is described as 'liquid gold and feels awesome on the hairFull Size: $45 Sample Size: $2.71
  • Dermablend Professional: Smooth Indulgence Concealer in Spice (sample) - Okay. I am not a fan of being sent foundations and concealer because with dark skin, there is a certain finesse that goes into purchasing these products. I swiped it on my hand and gave it the "Oh hellll NO!" because it looked extremely ashy on me. Something compelled me to try it on anyway. Long story short, it's great! I'll do a post on it. Full Size: $22 Sample Size: $3.36
  • **There was also a $.50 Ghiradelli chocolate square... but I ate it before I could  take the picture of the box contents *Giggle*

Now, onto the Ipsy Red Carpet bag.


  • POP Beauty Smokey Lash Kapow Mascara in Smoky Black (sample) - This mascara is waterproof and really pigmented. Mascara and I don't work well together, I almost never wear it, but this one works pretty good for me. Full Size: $18.50 Sample Size: $12.50
  • MicaBeauty Gel Eyeliner in Black (full size) - I LOVE this liner. Oh my goodness, talk about smooth application! It goes on smooth and matte and lasts almost all day for me. This is also a full sized product, which is awesome. The website says it comes with a special brush, however, it was not provided in the bag so I use my angle Posh liner brush. Full Size: $35.00
  •  Pixi Primer in Flawless & Poreless (sample) - This .5 fl oz bottle is listed as oil free, hydrating, hypoallergenic and for all skin types, which is funny to me because my face was a hot oily mess the day I used it under my foundation. Full Size: $29 Sample Size: $14.50
  • Coastal Scents Eye Shadow Sample Quad in Glitz & Glamour (sample) - These colors are great for going out. Coastal Scents is known for having super pigmented shadows and these prove why. A little definitely goes a long way with these shadows. Full Size: $2 per shadow pot Sample Size: $3
  • The Lash Card  (sample) - I have little to no eyelaashes, so like mascara, this is a little obsolete for my natural lashes. However, with falsies applied, this would be great for someone with a not-so-steady hand like meFull Size: $7 Sample Size: $2.20

Birchbox Total: $16.22 (estimated)
Ipsy Glam Bag Total: $67.20 (not including bag worth)

I will use all of the products, for using them sake, but the usefulness of each will be the deciding factor. With my Birchbox, 2/5 products are useful to me (long-term). With my Ipsy bag, 4/5 products are useful to me. Once again:

The winner of this month's Battle of the Boxes: IPSY

**Also, The WINNER of the Fashion Show Giveaway is reader, and proud Haitian, Chantal B.!**

~Confessor

*If you’re interested in Birchbox or Ipsy and want to sign up click HERE or HERE

4 comments:

  1. I just signed up for Ipsy and received my first box this month. I LOVE the gel eyeliner.. isn't it so good?! And the mascara is really good too. I also sign up for Birchbox but there's a long waiting list. : /

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the comparison of the two bags! I have only been subscribed to Ipsy for 2 months and I do think the value is worth spending $10 on to sample a few new products.
    Ps. Lucky you that you don't need to wear mascara :)

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats looks great!!!!
    love the products
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome review! Ipsy it is!! Thank hon :)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts