May 21, 2013

Beauty Talk: May 2013 Birchbox & Ipsy Glam Bag Review


It's Battle Of The Boxes time again. Birchbox VS Ipsy.

I received both of my monthly subscriptions last week and saw that they were really influenced by Spring.

If you're interested to see what I got in each box, and how they compete, click below to find out!





First up, we have the Ipsy bag:
  • Zoya Nail Polish in Neely (full size) - I was very excited to see this Zoya polish in my bag! I am really into pastel polishes. I think they look gorgeous with or without too much fuss. The quality of Zoya is great; I see why there has been so much hype around it. Full Size: $8.00
  • Juice Beauty Reflecting Gloss in Champagne  (deluxe size) - I love lip glosses like any other girl but I despise shimmer glosses because they tend to dry out my lips. When I saw that it was a shimmer gloss, I was skeptical, but after trying it out, it's nice enough. It is nude-ish on my lips, so i can definitely wear it every day. The smell is a bit nauseating, but i think that's a personal preference. Full size: $15.00 Deluxe Size: $7.50
  • Pacifica Island Vanilla Perfume Roll - This perfume is pretty boring... But I guess you can't expect much for the price. It mostly smells like candy, diabetic candy. I've worn it on two occasions and the scent fades almost immediately. Full Size: $12.00
  • Yaby Concealer refill in Peacan  (full size) - I wish these boxes/bags would stop sending me concealer *side eye*. When I took my quiz, they asked what is my skin tone. I clicked deep. I don't know what about "deep" translates to pecan colored concealer, but OK. It's not terrible, I can probably use it as a highlight (with a lot of blending) but I hate to have to work that hard! Full Size: $4.85
  • Mirabella Lip Lustre Lip Liner in Charming (full size) - Before Ipsy, I'd never heard of Mirabella products. In my December bag, a Mirabella primer was sent to me and I fell in love. It glides on really smoothly and it lasts. Full Size: $18.00



Next is this month's Birchbox:

  • Beauty Protector Protect and De-tangle -  I was so excited to try this product when I got the box. It smells great, is paraben/sulfate free, and has a great consistency for my hair type... There's just one problem... I got a defected sprayer! It wont spray anything at all which is disappointing. I would just pour some in my hand but for even distribution, that wont work. Womp, womp! Full Size: $21.95 Sample Size: $2.75
  • Pilot Corporation of America Acroball PureWhiteI really don't have much to say about this pen. It's a pen. I didn't subscribe to Birchbox to get pens. #FAIL Sample Value: $1.56 Retail: $6.24/4 pack
  • Cargo Lipgloss in Route 66 (full size) - This gloss is supposed to last up to 6 hours and is clinically proven to keep lips hydrated all day. The color is a pretty flush and it feels super moisturizing, but I haven't tested the hydrating claim yet.  Full Size: $14.00
  • Cotz Natural Skin Tone SPF 40 - This tinted lotion that dries to a sheer matte finish is supposed to keep your skin healthy and not clog your pores. It reminds me of a tinted moisturizer and surprisingly, it goes well with my skin tone! There is light coverage, so it may be perfect for the summer heat. Full Size: $20.00 Sample Size: $1.41
  • La Fresh - Eco Beauty Waterproof Makeup Remover - Biodegradable wipes laced with moisturizing jojoba and other plant oils to remove even the most stubborn mascara. I liked it well enough, but I am very good with my current makeup remover. Full Size $9.99 Sample Size: $0.99
Birchbox Total: $19.15 (not including pen)
Ipsy Glam Bag Total: $50.35 (not including bag value)

I will use all of the products, for using them sake, but the usefulness of each will be the deciding factor. With my Birchbox, 2/5 products are useful to me. I would have said 3, but unfortunately the detangler does not spray. With my Ipsy bag, 3/5 products are useful to me. I have been disappointed in Birchbox for the last 3 months. They have one more month to prove themselves. Once again:

The winner of this month's Battle of the Boxes: IPSY


~Confessor

*If you’re interested in Birchbox or Ipsy and want to sign up click HERE or HERE

8 comments:

  1. I love the first box products!!!!!!
    Kisses and Happy WE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the 2nd one :)

    Last chance TODAY for the International BEAUTY Giveaway

    http://fashioneiric.blogspot.fr/2013/05/giveaway-inside-benefit-neutral-kit.html

    Coline ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and interesting post darling!!big hug from Valence Spain..Thanks so much for commenting on my blog..

    L&K Moda y Tendencias.
    Http://louloukan.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol your reviews are always so honest (and hilarious.) I thought it was a beauty bag...not an office supply subscription??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Zoya nail polishes too! Too bad they're kinda expensive here in Canada...well, to me anyway:)
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blog!! Now following!! Thanks for the love on my blog! :)

    XOXO,

    Ker-Leen
    Music. Fashion. Love.
    http:kerleen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts