Jul 28, 2013

Beauty Talk: July 2013 Birchbox & Ipsy Glam Bag Review

It's Battle Of The Boxes time again. Birchbox* VS Ipsy*.

I received both of my monthly subscriptions last week and must say, these are great boxes! I am calling this the Summer Box Smackdown... because I can  ;-)

If you're interested to see what I got, and how they compete against each other (it's a toughie), click below to find out!


First is this month's Birchbox*:

  • ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick in Peony -  I think this is actually a trial size even though it’s a full lipstick. The ModelCo website has the lipstick listed as having a built-in mirror  and this one does not. In any case, the lipstick feels great, wears long, and smells delicious! The color is gorgeous too. Full Size (Set of 3): $24 Sample Value: $8
  • Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream - This cream is supposed to repair skin damage and provide hydration for up to 26 hours. It is very moisturizing but smells a little strange. Sample Value:  Full Price: $48
  • Birchbox Bobby Pins - There's not much to say about these. They are super cute and i'll definitely get a chance to use them!  Full Size: (A set of 6) $5 Sample Size: $.84 ea.
  • I.C.O.N. India Oil: - I love any type of oil so this is not bad. It is a blend of argan and "other nourishing oils" (weird description). It smells great and there's a hint of clove oil. Full Size: $40.00 Sample Size: $3.58
  • Gena Pedi Cure Foot Treatment Creme - I love these lotion packets! The thick formula feels great because it isn't greasy and really does leave my feet feeling great. Full Size: $18  Sample Size: $0.99

Now, we have the Ipsy* bag:
  • Pop Beauty Pouty Pop Crayon in Coral Crush (full size) - I was a little skeptical about this. I thought the color would be hideous or too sheer on me. It's actually REALLY nice. I am really into pastel colors right now, so this works perfectly. Full Size (Set of 6): $25 Sample Value: $4.20
  • BH Cosmetics California Collection Sample - The palette I received has the shades Hollywood, San Francisco, and Malibu inside. They look like pretty colors in the packaging, Hollywood is a purple shade, San Francisco is brown, and Malibu is gold. They are very light in pigment; if you do purchase, you'll probably have to wet the brush and pack on product. Not bad though. Full size: $1.00 ea. Deluxe Size: $3
  • Coola Mineral Sunscreen SPF 20 - We all need SPF... I am (unfortunately) one of those black people who neglect putting it on because of the myth that "we don't need it". That's why I try to pick up face products with an SPF level of 15 or above. This product is nice to have. It goes on a bit pasty  but quickly absorbs into the skin. Full Size: $36.00 Sample Value: $5.04
  • Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Beach Spray - This sample came in a pretty big container for a sample. It is a "beach look conditioning and texturizing spray with argon oil". I have braids in right now, but I like the consistency and smell already. Full Size: $19.95 Sample Value: $6.67
  • Nailtini Nail Lacquer in Mai Tai (full size) - Love this shade hot coral for Summer, it’s truly that perfect beach shade. Full Size: $13.00
Birchbox Total: $18.26
Ipsy Glam Bag Total: $31.91 (not including bag value)

As usual, the usefulness of each will be the deciding factor in who wins this Summer Box Smackdown! With my Birchbox, for the first time, 4/5 products are useful to me. This is a definite jump from the last box review. Great job BB! With my Ipsy bag, 3/5 products are useful to me. It was close, but for the first time:

The winner of this month's Battle of the Boxes: Birchbox

Do you know/like any of the products I received this month?

~Confessor

*If you’re interested in Birchbox or Ipsy and want to sign up click HERE or HERE (*refferal links)

6 comments:

  1. Such a tough one, but I think I like your Ipsy box better!

    Amanda Raye
    www.brokeandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do need to sign up to one at some point in my life - i love new products and if they are useless i save them up for xmas gifts for a beauty pack for friends x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously need to try one of these out! I'm just afraid of what I'm gonna get, but I guess that's what makes it fun =D

    PS. I'm hosting a giveaway at my blog with Bitchy Gypsy! You could win a fierce statement necklace just by liking their FB page! I'd really love it if you could enter!

    http://sensiblestylista.blogspot.com/2013/08/bitchy-gypsy-giveaway-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're both great bags with nice goodies but I prefer the IPSY bag because it has more of the daily products that we women use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree. i need for everything i get to be practical and useful.

      Delete
  5. i used to get birchbox, but i swear i only got skin stuff.

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts