Jan 19, 2014

Sunday Inspiration: Be Vulnerable


Throwback to my birthday!
"...You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible. You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you. You find strength in knowing you have a true friend and possibly a soul mate who will remain loyal to the end. Life seems completely different, exciting and worthwhile. Your only hope and security is in knowing that they are a part of your life.” -Bob Marley

Vulnerability: a word that I could not relate to for a long time. Vulnerability, to me, was a sign of weakness. If I kept my guard up, I wouldn't get hurt and I would forever appear "strong".

Although Bob is talking about being vulnerable in romantic relationships, I refused to be vulnerable in any relationship. Just call me emotionally retarded (retarded in the dictionary sense; read: slow or limited in intellectual, emotional development or academic progress.)

Sometimes, vulnerability takes a kind of strength that a person like me didn't poses. That's no way to live life. Part of the full (and fulfilling) human experience lies in that very ability to open up. I learned that, through a series of difficult lessons, over the past 2-3 years. Call it my very own anthesis.

I'm not sure if turning 21 (again) *WINK* did it for me, but suddenly I woke up one day over the holidays and realized that I had to let go of the fear of being vulnerable. Well, let me clarify, the real fear is the fear of getting hurt... you only get hurt when you're vulnerable. I had to grow. I had to get hurt and survive it to realize, "Oh shit, I can do this!" When your self love grows and solidifies, you realize the only people that can hurt you are the people you give that power to. You keep that power and being vulnerable no longer becomes a threat. That is a marvelous epiphany.

So be vulnerable. Open up; the things you hide deep inside are what make you you. Your eccentricities are beautiful. The people who are supposed to be in your life will remain there. The people who don't will find the exit at stage left.



This is your show, you need no extras.

What are your thoughts on vulnerability?

~Confessor

14 comments:

  1. I used to be exactly like you!! And to some extent I still am although I've changed drastically. I finally let myself feel and love! And so far that has been the best decision I made. So what if I can get hurt? I'll pick myself up again but right now I'm focusing on the positives alone and how this person makes me feel. Its just beautiful.


    www.cassiedaves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a nice post, so inspiring! thanks for sharing...

    It’s a GIRL Thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. such an inspiring post!! i learnt alot from reading this :') xx

    will be following you!

    http://lifeofacameo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shoot! :) you are really good with make up! I wonder to be good as you!
    I'm your new follower! Hope you would like to check my blog back too!
    Here my links!
    bonjourchiara.blogspot.com
    Facebook Page Bonjourchiara
    Bloglovin Bonjourchiara

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am loving your hair dear. niceee
    www.fashionitazbybuiti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Happy belated birthday.

    http://spendlessusemore.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Pretty Hair!
    *Besos*
    http://www.cmichellestyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm working on this myself. thx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that vulnerability is a sign of strength. When a person is able to let others know that they need help, opens the doors to new knowledge, opportunities and experiences.

    Thank you for commenting at So What to Twenty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I'm a fan of your blog now from Manila!

    Love,
    Ysabel of Pleasantly Chic

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can always trust Bob to speak some truth. Great quote.

    -Leslie Anne
    theprettymustache.com

    ReplyDelete

**Due to a dramatic increase in spam comments, verification has been turned on until further notice.**

Dont be afraid, confess your thoughts!
And by "thoughts" I do mean thoughts about this post, not a generic "Hey, love your blog, wanna follow each other?!"

;-)

Be sure to follow me on:
Twitter @SherineP
Bloglovin
and Instagram EnerjieeBySherine

Popular Posts